This lovely lotion is smooth and delicate, but simple
- 20ml Avocado oil
- 20 ml Meadowfoam seed oil
- 40 drops Vitamin E oil
- 12g Emulsifying wax - vegetable based
- 125ml Rose floral water
- 40 drops Optiphen plus preservative
- 2.5ml English lavender essential oil
- steralised jars.
It is important when heating the ingredients that the correct temperature is reached. Separation will occur if the ingredients are not hot enough.
- Place emulsifying wax into a steralised pyrex jug.
- Pour the floral water into another steralised pyrex jug.
- Put the jugs into a large saucepan which is partialy filled with water. The jugs should not touch the bottom of the saucepan, so put something inside the saucepan which is heat resistant and safe to use with the pyrex glass jugs – this will make sure that the ingredients do not over heat.
- Add the vegetable oils to the melted emulsifying wax and heat until the oil phase reaches 65-70º c.
- When the floral water has also reached 65-70º c, slowly pour the water phase into the oil phase mixing constantly. Keep the oil phase jug sitting in the saucepan of hot water while you do this.
- Once the floral water has mixed into the oil phase, remove the jug from the heat – be careful not to burn yourself. The emulsion will be very watery in consistency and look milky.
- Keep stirring slowly to make sure that separation does not occur and air bubbles are not incorporated, as this can cause the emulsion to separate. Keep running your spoon over the bottom of the jug ensuring the proper mixing of all ingredients.
- Check the temperature of the emulsion and when it has cooled to 45ºc.
- Add your essential oil and optiphen plus and stir in well.
- Check pH and adjust to 5.5 if required
- As soon as the emulsion starts to thicken pour into steralised jars.
- Put the caps onto your jars and attach ingredients label.
Many thanks to Chantale of Skinsimple for this wonderful recipe.
Please test all recipes to ensure they meet your requirements. No guarantee is offered for the performance of any recipe offered.